Thank you for your interest in the UH Center of Emergency Medicine
We are excited about the future of Emergency Medicine here at University Hospitals Cleveland Medical Center! Our department, our residency training program, our hospital and our city are recognized nationally for leadership, service, education and innovation. As proud residents of “Believeland,” we believe the next generation of Emergency Medicine national leaders will call UH Cleveland Medical Center home! Click here to see what our residents and faculty are up to.
We are committed to the development of residents as outstanding clinicians, patient advocates and leaders who deliver high-quality, efficient and compassionate care. Whether life takes you to a busy community Emergency Department, work overseas, a rural critical access hospital or a high-acuity academic medical center, as a graduate of our program, you will have the training to meet - and exceed - all challenges.
An affiliate of Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine, our program provides faculty and residents with a diverse clinical experience. Our quaternary academic medical center and our multiple community affiliates in the robust University Hospitals system allow for the full range of clinical medicine. Our pediatric Emergency Medicine experience is integrated and longitudinal; we collaborate closely with UH Rainbow Babies & Children’s Hospital whose ED is co-located with the adult site. In addition, our department gives residents and students the ability to choose a longitudinal curricular experience in any of the following emergency medicine specialty fields:
- Clinical Operations and Administration: Residents can engage in performance improvement initiatives, to include collaboration with the UH Innovation team as well as Emergency Medicine leaders nationally.
- Critcal Care: Residents participate in cutting-edge education, research, and practice in acute resuscitation by our cross-trained EM-critical care faculty both upstairs and downstairs.
- Emergency Medical Services: This includes our new EMS and Disaster Preparedness Training Institute that provides structured opportunities for prehospital medical direction and education.
- Global health: This includes an internationally renowned fellowship that has a unique partnership with International Medical Corps.
- Research: Through a mentored research pathway, residents can receive personal guidance through basic science or clinical research.
- Ultrasound: Our faculty are recognized internationally for their expertise in this discipline - opportunities exist to teach and conduct research all over the world.
Our residency training curriculum places a premium on care of the critically ill. A structured graduated responsibility clinical model, complemented by several months of ICU experience annually, ensures our residents graduate with a confident understanding of our sickest patients. Our clinical, didactic and asynchronous educational model cultivates a foundation of evidence-based medicine, procedural competency, and scholarly growth.
Residency is a unique and life-changing experience. The creation of a supportive, nurturing environment is essential so that we can achieve our mission - which is to ensure you become the best version of yourself as a person, clinician and leader. By training outstanding physicians who value empathy and compassionate care we know we can achieve this mission.
We look forward to meeting you and sharing what a gift it is to practice emergency medicine.