Founded in 1866, University Hospitals Cleveland Medical Center has been deeply committed to advancing research and medical care since its founding days. The nationally renowned academic medical center is intricately linked to the history of Cleveland and was nurtured and supported by the city’s great industrial families of the late 19th and early 20th centuries – the same families that played key roles in the development of the city’s noted civic and cultural institutions, including the Cleveland Museum of Art, The Cleveland Orchestra, and The Cleveland Foundation.
Among the forward-looking thinkers in UH’s early history was industrialist Samuel Mather, who served as a trustee for 47 years, including more than 30 years as chairman. In 1891, Mather visited the fledgling Johns Hopkins hospital and medical school. He returned to Cleveland convinced of the value of an academic medical mission joined with patient care. He understood the synergy created in an academic medical center that brings together the power of healing, teaching and discovery, and he recognized that the future of great medicine lay in the academic medical center model.
This vision for University Hospitals led in 1895 to our formal ties with what is now Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine. As the primary affiliate of the medical school, we grew to become one of the nation’s great centers of academic medicine and the region’s leading provider of high quality health care. Today, these two entities form the Center for Clinical Research and Technology – the largest biomedical research center in the state of Ohio, and one of top 15 in the country.
UH Cleveland Medical Center’s rich legacy of landmark medical innovation continues today. Our physician-researchers have made significant discoveries and pioneered new techniques and treatments in a variety of specialties ranging from neuroscience to cancer to cardiology to pediatrics.